Sunday, September 9, 2007

Mom's Broccoli and Cheese Soup

2 quarts water
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1 ½ cubes butter
¾ cups flour
2 cups grated cheddar or 8 oz. cheese whiz
½ head fresh broccoli

Bring water and bouillon cubes to a boil. Cut broccoli into bite size pieces and add to broth. Melt butter in a small pan, add flour making roux. Stir roux boiling water. Stir until thickened and smooth. Add cheese and stir until melted. Makes about 2 ½ quarts.

I often use a package of frozen chopped broccoli in place of the fresh. I also always use grated cheddar.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I'm glad this was on the blog. I had some broccoli I needed to use. It worked out perfect because the other ingredients are things you usually have on hand, which makes this really simple. Thanks! I needed a good Broccoli & Cheese soup recipe.

Mindy Sauther said...

This soup recipe was just what I needed- quick and delicious!